Nevers Sermoise

Validation date: 27 01 2015
Updated on: Never
Views: 1442
See on the interactive map:


46°58'28"N 003°10'54"E

Grass landing field

Nevers airfield (french: Aérodrome Nevers, also known as Cheutainville or "Peuplier Seul") was an airfield 215 kilometer south-southwest of Paris.
While serving Nevers, it was established in the town of Sermoise, at a place called "Peuplier seul" (Sole Poplar) at the initiative of a young pilot called Jean Daillens. He set up a flight school in September 1910. 
The airfield was soon booming and became a stage in the March 1911 air race Paris/Clermont-Ferrand.


Nevers-Aviation: Airfield of the lone popular. The departure of the biplane of Aviator Daillens with a passenger.
Courtesy of Sermoise city (© Mairie Sermoise sur Loire)


Paris-Clermont, by Renaux. - The Aviator Daillens receives Renaux at his airfield in Nevers.
Courtesy of Sermoise city (© Mairie Sermoise sur Loire)


Paris-Clermont, by Renaux. The Aviator Dailllens wishes his friend and colleague good luck.
Courtesy of Sermoise city (© Mairie Sermoise sur Loire).

On 13, 14 and 15 August 1911, many civil and military pilots performed at a major airshow. One of the performers was army lieutenant Jean-Etienne Cheutin from Guérigny.
His reputation gained in aviation circles was that the committee which managed the airport gave him the name "Cheutinville".


Paris-Clermont, by Renaux - At the Nevers airfield - The Prefect of Nièvre congratulates the aviator Renaux.
Courtesy of Sermoise city (© Mairie Sermoise sur Loire)


Courtesy of Sermoise city (© Mairie Sermoise sur Loire)


Courtesy of Sermoise city (© Mairie Sermoise sur Loire)


Courtesy of Sermoise city (© Mairie Sermoise sur Loire)

Courtesy of Sermoise city (© Mairie Sermoise sur Loire)


Courtesy of Sermoise city (© Mairie Sermoise sur Loire)

The business grew steadily: the airfield became a stop in the mail service Paris/Lyon, aerial demonstrations were held with aerobatic display by Poirée. Experiences with skydiving, resulted in the 17 May 1914 jump of the world's first female skydiver, Ms. Cayat Castella.
At the outbreak of the war of 1914-1918, several retreating French squadrons landed at Cheutinville.

After the War, the land remained inactive until about 1930, when work was done that allowed it to be home to a greater number of aircraft types. Several major airlines meetings were held there, allowing many pilots of the time to shine: Lemoigne, Portal, Maryse Bastie, Cup, Assolant, Colonel and later General Cheutin, then Commander of aviation in Morocco.

Competitors in the aviation circuit used the airfield as a rallying point in 1933. Some celebrities such as Coste, Mermoz, Farman, Adrienne Bolland and Marcel Doret also went to the airport.
Over time, Cheutinville had to give way to La Sangsue, the new airport of Nevers in 1935. However, the fame of Cheutinville had far exceeded the French borders. During the Second World War, German troops, fearing use of the land by the Resistance, rendered its use impracticable by digging trenches over its entire surface.

Today, nothing remains about the former airfield.

(Researched by Olivier)