41°41'17"N 015°22'46"E (estimated)
runway: ../.. - ...x..m - ...
San Severo airfield was a temporary airfield located approximately 40km north of Foggia in Apulia, Italy.
It was built by the US Amry Corps Of Enigineers in late September 1943. Known units to operate from the field were:
90th Reconnaissance Wing (USAAF), flying mostly the recce P-38 Lightning (F-4 and F-5), from 1 December 1943 until 4 April 1945.
3rd Reconnaissance Group (USAAF), flying mostly the recce P-38 Lightning (F-4 and F-5), from 8 December 1943 until 4 January 1944.
5th Reconnaissance Group (USAAF), flying mostly the recce P-38 Lightning (F-4 and F-5), from 8 December 1943 until 11 October 1944.
31st Fighter Group (USAAF), flying the P-51 Mustang, from 2 April 1944 until 3 March 1945.
'A' Flight, 680 Sqn (RAF), flying the Mosquito PR XVI.
The last combat missions were flown in March 1945 and the airfield closed in September 1945.
Mosquito PR XVI's of 'A' Flight, 680 Sqn. at San Savero in 1944. The red and white fin stripes served as an identity marking for American pilots who often mistook them for German M E 410's (Etiennedup, on Flickr)
P-51s of 31FG at San Severo airfield in 1944 (USAF photo via Wikipedia)
The airfield was dismantled after the war and today it is an agricultural area.
There is little, if any, evidence left in aerial photography like Google Earth.
No photographic evidence of the airfield from the air was located