St. Marceau (A-43)

Validation date: 21 12 2013
Updated on: Never
Views: 1143
See on the interactive map:


48°10'37"N 000°09'30"E
 
runway: 08/26 - 1542x37m/5000x120ft - PBS
 
St. Marceau airfield (advanced landing Ground A-43, also known as Aèrodrome de Saint-Jean-d'Assé) was an Allied wartime airfield 175 kilometers southwest of Paris.
The airfield was built between 20 and 31 August 1944 by 819 Engineer Aviation Battalion. It was temporary home to 474 Fighter Group, flying P-38 fighter-bombers. The Group and its squadrons were supporting operations in the Brest area.
428FS, coded F5, was stationed here between 2 and 12 September 1944.
429FS, coded 7Y, was stationed here between 2 and 12 September 1944.
430FS, coded K6, was stationed here between 2 and 12 September 1944.
 
When 474FG had left, the airfield sat abandoned for a few weeks. It was returned to operational status on 1 October 1944. It became temporary home to 441 Troop Carrier Group, flying C-47 Skytrains.
99TCS, coded 3J, was stationed here between 1 October and 4 November 1944.
100TCS, coded 8C, was stationed here between 2 October and 3 November 1944.
301TCS, coded Z4, was stationed here between 1 October and 4 November 1944.
302TCS, coded 2L, was stationed here between 1 October and 2 November 1944.
The Troop Carrier Group and its squadrons were supporting operations near the Ruhr area in Germany.

Map of St. Marceau airfield as it was in 1944
 
The airfield finally closed on 20 November 1944. It was dismantled and returned to its original owners. Today, the lands are built over with the A-28 highway between Le Mans and Le Havre. The remainder is for agricultural use. Nothing remains of the former airfield.

The location of St. Marceau airfield in 2005 (Google Maps)